Work from home?
Working remotely has a lot of benefits, but it also has downsides. Like the feeling of being trapped inside your apartment, or being glued to the internet when you're meant to be working. And let’s face it, sometimes we just get lonely. Join SpareChair to connect with interesting people, get a change of scenery and be more productive.
Host a coworking session
Whether it's your home office, a workshop, or a professional studio, you can create a beautiful listing on SpareChair, set a reasonable fee for hosting, and invite interesting people to work with you
Facilitating a Hoffice
As a facilitator you have the fun task to hold on to the schedule and make thereby sure, that the Hofficers have a good structure to work and stay in tune with their goals. Here are some steps, which might help you to do a great job:
- Collect all people in a circle; you might want to start with a moment of mindfulness (try e.g. the app Insight Timer and chose one of the shorter guided meditations)
- In case that there is new people, explain briefly how a Hoffice day works
- Invite someone in the circle to say his name and state her/his day’s goals by saying “I will celebrate today if I get X, Y, Z done”; help people evtl. in a friendly way to find a concrete, measurable phrasing of their goal; but emphasize at the same time that activities like playing, reading a book or surfing facebook are also very welcome, if they are phrased in a concrete way
- When everyone has named his day’s goal, invite for another round, where everyone states his next-45min-goal; again in a very concrete way (“In the next 45min I will do X, Y, Z!”)
- Start a timer for the first 45min session and mention that everyone is welcome to use the facebook event wall as a place to post wishes for break activities or other important communication
/// Tip: Create a shared online timer so that everyone can keep an eye on the remaining time! Go to marinaratimer.com and share the link in the right corner in the facebook Hoffice event. Then click on “Marinara”, enter 45 min and click “Start Marinara” (you might want to add also a 15min intervall for the break). Now everyone should see the timer running (if not, they should refresh the page by pressing F5).
- After 43min tell everyone that there is 2 minutes left and ask that those who don’t want to participate in the next break (e.g. because they are in a creative flow), should raise their hand; all others should prepare to stop working at the same time
- You can use the last two minutes to think about a good break activity. Our list with break activities might become handy.
- When the 45min have run out, invite everyone to state what they have done in the last block; celebrate together if someone has managed to reach her/his goal
- Facilitate a break activity, like stretching, work-out, icebreaker games, etc.
- Give people a few minutes to go to the toilet or to talk
- 2 minutes before the end of the 15min break, you want to make sure that everyone is gathered again, and you facilitate a round of goal-setting for the next 45min
- …Continue this structure for the rest of the day…
- After the last 45min block, make sure to gather all participants again and invite for a last round of check-out, where everyone reflects on the day, the progress towards the goals and the overall feeling.