Happy New Year!
When I returned from work last night, I was greeted by singing upstairs. The video above is what I witnessed.
- What could I possibly take away from this encounter?
- Is this my 2018/19 performance review?
- Surely those are only for bosses? At least in the corporate world... but, what if the shadow we leave with everyone around us is what our REAL performance review?
What if we did them publicly? What if we did them from the perspective of the kids that will reap or suffer the output of our day jobs?
- This video made it clear to me with growing kids that what you talk about goes to the shower, to school and to your colleagues in ways not imaginable... therefore, what shadow am I leaving?
- A. I probably talk about work to much
- B. I must be positive (or have an abnormally positive son)
- C. It is unfair to summarize your shadow in 30 seconds of a 6 year olds singing
- If I am talking about work, how do I spend my time?
- A. It seems like yesterday that bath time was a chore and now i'm learning from my kids being self sufficient. Where did all that time go?
- B. I am home for the majority of dinners, but I also travel a lot for work (204,868 miles this year on @Delta alone to be exact) Google Maps Timeline makes it pretty easy to see where you are physically
- How is my work benefiting my kids/schools? What did I actually achieve this year?
- A. My consulting company (theDifference) helped people actually have fun at work, deliver measurably better results, and even protect our military from harm (Check out the press release of our work with world leaders at the G20 in Buenos Aires)
- B. My software company (Collaboration.Ai) connected charity workers in Senegal & Rwanda, Anti-Terrorist groups in Lebanon and conference attendees around the world including TED attendees. We did our fair share of famous connections with world leaders (including Jeff Bezos and Justin Trudeau) plus countless corporate employees that don't they were using our software and our passion for daily, maybe focus on how we are impacting the next generation
Indirectly, but positively benefiting the next generation. Lots more to improve upon for 2019!
Happy new year. Looking forward to connecting in 2019. Thanks for a great year.